Sunday, March 24, 2013

Chirpy Chick Easter Cupcakes

Well Easter is nearly upon us, so I thought I would get my Easter baking underway this weekend as I'm going away for a week from Good Friday. For this reason I thought I'd stick with some simple Easter bakes this year and I also tackled Simnel Cake, Hot Cross Buns and Traditional Easter Biscuits last year.
I love these Chirpy Chick Cupcakes they're so cute and perfect for kids. You can use any vanilla cupcake recipe but I particularly like this one from the Hummingbird Bakery. You could also flavour the cupcakes, lemon would be good!
I piped a swirl of buttercream on top of each cupcake with a Wilton 1M nozzle. Buttercream is easy to make, it's just 500g of icing sugar to 250g butter or any 2:1 ratio. I also add 1/2-1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and a tablespoon or so of water if it needs loosening.
To make the little chicks on top I used yellow sugarpaste which was mixed with some CMC. CMC stiffens up the paste to make it a little more robust and it means that the circles won't flop when placed on top of the buttercream. I cut out the circles using an Ateco cutter a few hours before I needed them and then left them to harden for a while.
For the wings it is the same sugarpaste with CMC. Each wing was cut out with a heart cutter and then the cutter was twisted slightly to one side and the paste cut through again which gave the wing shape. The eyes are little balls of black flowerpaste and the beak sugarpaste with CMC which was cut out freehand. To finish off the chicks, little flowers were added. These were cut out of white flowerpaste which I coloured up and then PME blossom cutters gave the shape.
 
The design for these cupcakes comes from Seasonal Cupcakes by Carolyn White which is a very reasonably priced little cupcake book and I think the finished product is very effective. The desgin can also be modified to make a number of different bird cupcakes. I previously made some Christmas robin cupcakes which were similar.
These cupcakes are my entry into this month's Calendar Cakes with the theme being Easter Extravaganza. Calendar Cakes is hosted here at Laura Loves Cakes on alternate months with Dolly Bakes. If you'd like to enter you can find all the details here.
 


15 comments:

  1. Laura these are adorable! So cute and such a straightforward tutorial. Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  2. As if they weren't cute enough you add that little flower - adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so cute - lovely little chicks just ready for Easter. I've never heard of CMC but can see why it would help to have firmer sugar paste in view of the design. Adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always make the bestest looking and decorated cakes Laura. Love these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are sooo adorable!! I've made 2 easter treats which I have not had time to blog yet and to enter into Calendar cakes but will get it up this week. Hope it's not too late!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're so cuuuuuute! And the little flower too! I need to start some Easter themed baking. A tube of mini eggs were bought but they may have *ahem* mysteriously disappeared this evening...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are so awesome! Great job :)

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  8. These cupcakes are really delightful and so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww lovely - these are the cutest!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Laura,

    Your chicky sweet-looking cupcakes are so cute! Too cute that I don't think that I will eat them at all :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are so cute! The flower is a lovely touch. The wings looks super tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely adorable, love the little flowers! I like your cases too, nice and spring-y!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are so cute! I'm usually not a fan of fondant, but that frosting swirl underneath looks so creamy and delish that I just want to sink my teeth right into those little chicks!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!