Sunday, March 17, 2013

Minnie & Mickey Birthday Cakes

It's been a few months since I properly decorated a cake but I've been getting back into the swing of things this week with these cute Minnie and Mickey Mouse cakes. They were for a joint third birthday party for a boy and a girl.
I've described the method previously for similar stacked cakes so I'll just give a brief overview of how they were made. I started with two slabs of cake and cut around the cake board to give three circles of cake for each of the individual cakes. These three layers were then stacked on each of the cake boards and sandwiched with buttercream and raspberry jam before crumb coating the outside and placing in the fridge, for half an hour or so, to firm up ready for the sugarpaste covering.
 
Each cake is made up of a 7 inch cake on top of a 9 inch and the board at the bottom is 12 inches. In order to support the top cake and stop it sinking into the cake below, there are three dowels in each of the bottom cakes. The board was covered in icing separately to the 9 inch cake sitting on it, the cake went on first and then the board was iced around it.
 
The little Minnies and Mickeys around the bottom tier of the cake were cut out using a sugarpaste cutter that I found on amazon. They are cut  out of black flower paste which is stronger than sugarpaste and can therefore be rolled more thinly. Mickey was then finished with a bow tie and Minnie with the bow in her hair, these were again made out of white flower paste that I coloured up. They're stuck on with royal icing and then Minnie's bow was finished with small piped dots of royal icing.
Normally for a birthday cake I might personalise it with a name around the cake board at the bottom  with the letters being cut out with tappits but I thought that with everything else going on this might look a bit crowded. So I opted for a simple initial on the top of each cake which I was very pleased with as when I added them it just finished off the cakes! 
Finally, for the bows and ears on top I used flower paste again. I cut out the ears using a circle cutter and made the bow out of three separate pieces of paste. Two to make the side loops and one to wrap around the middle. The bow is stuck together using edible glue. All these pieces were left to harden overnight before being attached with royal icing. Here is a bow tutorial from the food network using only two separate pieces of paste which is good for smaller bows. The demo uses sugarpaste which is useful if you just want your bow to sit flat on top of a cupcake for example, but for all other bows where you want it to sit up with a bit of shape or you want to stick it on the side of a cake, you'd have to use flowerpaste. To keep the shape of the bow whilst it's drying you can also roll up some kitchen paper and pop it through each loop until it's set.

I was pleased with the finish cakes but had to brave the elements this weekend to deliver them which is never ideal!
 
The inspiration for the design came from Byrdie Girl Custom Cakes, although there seems to be many similarly designed cakes online.

17 comments:

  1. What child wouldn't love to have one of these. They are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable _ i love how crisp and clean your work is

    ReplyDelete
  3. How talented are u! that looks amazing.
    just wanted to let you know I've nominated your blog for the Versatile Blogger Award. Its bloggers nominating/aprecitaing other blogs award. :)
    My Cupcake Habit Vb POST.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look fantastic Laura, I especially love the tiny Minnie bows :)

    I love decorating cakes, one day I hope to be as neat as you!

    Kate x

    Cakes and Bakes by Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really lovely - the decoration is perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow these look absolutely stunning!! I wish someone made me a cake like this when I was 3!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! These cakes look so cute & lovely! You've done an amazing job, Laura! Well done! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must be the queen of sugarpaste Laura! Those bows are just perfect on top of the cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning cakes! Love those bows and the ribbon just sets it off perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful work you do, so clean and professional. I just love these cakes, the bows are perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, your cakes look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look amazing. But both look like minnie cakes!! Removing the bow on the red one would have been perfect. I am making something similar this weekend for my sister-in-law only im just making her 1 tier and shes having polkadots all over, ears and a bow on top. I dont think ill be able to get mine to look as perfect as yours though!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Nicola, I was toying with the bow on Mickey but wasn't sure how to attach the ears without it!! So therefore it was deemed a 'bow tie', it also has bow ties around the bottom and Mickey's two buttons on the front. The ironic thing was that I learnt a new technique the day after I finished these that would have been ideal for the Mickey ears without the bow!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Woah Laura, these are insanely good! They are the perfect pair together! I love the giant bow and ears on top! Awesome work!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated!